If you have been following this blog for any amount of time, you are probably very familiar with all of the physical and mental trials I’ve been through over the last six months. All of my ailments were chalked up to having a low testosterone count.
I’ve taken 3 tests over the last 2 months to determine if my testosterone was definitely low or if there was some other anomaly that caused the low results during my first test. All 3 were very much below the minimum level (the minimum is for a man in his 70s) and it has been confirmed that my body has extremely low testosterone.
Fighting With My Doctor To Get Testosterone Replacement Therapy
After the results of the test came in, I still had to go through a big hassle with the specialist (an endocrinologist in this case), but in the end he agreed to prescribed testosterone replacement therapy. It is too much to go into here, but I made a video recently that explains everything I went through in the doctors office to get this medication:
If you watched that video you can see (through all that I was saying) that it wasn’t as easy as the doctor reading the results of the test and then decided to prescribe testosterone; however I was able to persuade him to take this course of action. Near the end of August I will get blood work done and then I will meet with my doctor in the beginning of September to determine if the testosterone replacement therapy is actually working or not.
Fighting With My Insurance Company To Get Testosterone Replacement Therapy
Even after the doctor finally agreed to give me the testosterone prescription, I had to get pre-authorization through the pharmacy benefit manager. This is quite common, however, it took longer than it should have because the pharmacy was supposed to contact the doctor with the information that he would need when he contacted the pharmacy benefit manager.
However, after 2 days passed, I called the doctor’s office to check on the progress and they then informed me that they never spoke to anyone from the pharmacy. I then called the pharmacy to try to get the information so that I can pass it on to the doctor’s office directly, and the pharmacist told me that she actually spoke to someone in my doctor’s office and gave them the information directly. Anyway, after that was settled I received the call from the pharmacy benefit manager stating that the medication had been approved.
Future Updates & My Hope
I plan to write periodic updates on this blog to let you know how things are going with the testosterone replacement therapy. I’ll let you know if my fatigue, memory, motivation, sleep patterns, physical strength, endurance doing workouts, and overall health improves during the various stages.
The doctor said that it would take at least five weeks for my testosterone levels to increase (which is why I am waiting until the end of August before taking a new blood test), but I am hoping that some of the effects of this treatment will happen before that time, rather than having to wait for five weeks before seeing any improvement at all.
photo credit: freedigitalphotos.net
© 2013, Khaleef “Fat Guy” Crumbley. All rights reserved.